Monday 14 November 2016

I'm still here!

So as it's been about 3 weeks since my last post I thought I had better jump back on the wagon! As any parent knows, the summer holidays are super busy, especially when you're a parent of 3! They have kept me immensely busy the past few weeks but I have also been busy delving into some amazing books. I am currently reading another offering from Liane Moriarty which I will review after I have finished. The main one that I would like to review next is very different from what you may have come to expect from me.

As well as being a busy mum-of-3 and a complete bookworm I am also a huge motorsports fan. Speedway in particular. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it, it involves 4 riders racing on an oval shaped shale track for 4 laps on bikes up to 500cc with no brakes and capable of hitting 60mph faster than a Formula 1 car. It is a highly dangerous but breathtakingly exciting sport to watch. Take a look at some examples on YouTube here.

The reason for my explanation of my other hobby is my choice of book review. Despite being a huge fan of Speedway for more than 18 years I have never read a book on the subject until now. I came across Tragedy: The Kenny Carter Story on a Speedway related Facebook group and the story appealed to me despite not being my usual choice of genre.

I can without any hesitation say that this is one of, if not the best book I have read so far this year. As the title suggests it is indeed a tragic story. One of early childhood heartache, growing up too fast, International success and fame at a young age and perhaps inevitably, jealousy, rage and murder-suicide.

It is very well written in a chronological fashion to really let the reader travel through time and understand the man behind the name. The boy who grew up to be an international Speedway icon and would have undoubtedly gone on to become World Champion and be a huge influence within the sport had the tragic events of his past not taken place.

I finished this lengthy read in just a few short days. I literally couldn't put it down. Despite the subject matter I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are dark elements for sure but the hilarious anecdotes and fond memories relayed throughout helped to lift the overall tone of the book.

I highly recommend reading it, even if you have never heard of the sport. I promise it is worth the read. It is available in paperback and kindle format from Amazon today.

No comments:

Post a Comment